In my opinion, there is no greater investment you can make in yourself than self-care. My favorite self-care ritual has always been skincare. On my twenty-second birthday, I jokingly coined the phrase, “the year of the skin.” Fast forward a few years and now every day is intentionally focused on consciously treating my skin like the true queen she is. I have always struggled with loving my skin. In middle school I developed intense cystic acne, then was diagnosed with vitiligo, and now I struggle with psoriasis. I battled with self confidence and often hid my skin away, missing out on many opportunities (and often sweating my way through the summer months in long sleeves). Through my personal journey with trying harder to love my skin and finding products that work for my specific needs and skin type, I have come to love and flaunt my skin for all she’s worth.
In addition to cultivating a love for skincare, I also have taken a heightened interest in being eco conscious and tossing the toxins from our home. Some of my favorite skin care products included fragrances, dyes, unnecessary chemicals, and even on occasion, glitter. I know, a little glitter never hurt nobody! But my skin wasn’t trying to sissy that walk before bed--she just wanted to be cared for. This year for the holidays my partner and I had one request: new skincare. We were running low on many of our staples and were ready to toss the toxins in our skin care arsenal as well. We were extremely excited to be gifted a plethora of Osea skincare products. Before jumping into this review/routine, I want to add that this post is in no way affiliated or sponsored by any of the following brands, but Osea, if you’re reading this, call me! What excited me about Osea’s brand is that their products are clean, gluten free, cruelty free, and vegan.
I am a nighttime cleanser. I don’t feel the need to double cleanse my skin because it can lead to excess product build-up, dry out my skin, and I find that a fresh shower and splash of cold water in the morning does the trick for my particular skincare needs. I am going to focus mainly on my pre-sleep routine, as this is when I use most of my products.
1. First up: Osea’s Ocean Cleansing Mudd. This product is a powerhouse. With the main ingredients of tea tree and peppermint, this first step leaves my skin feeling invigorated and ready for moisture. I truly feel the impurities leaving my face after using this cleanser. At first, I found it to be a bit intense as I have normal skin with a semi-oily t-zone. After investigating (reading the bottle), I found that Osea recommends this product as an exfoliating cleanser, or if you have oily skin, a daily cleanser. This will be a forever product in my shower for sure, but I would be interested in trying one of Osea’s cleansers that is a bit more mild. Overall rating: 8.5/10.
2. After cleansing, I tone my skin. I start with the Josh Rosebrook Daily Acid Toner. Using a reusable cotton round, I gently wipe my face in a circular motion. This toner is subtle yet packs a punch. With moisturizing properties, it leaves your skin feeling plump yet exfoliated and honestly, soft as a baby’s bottom. I love it and will definitely repurchase. This organic product rivals my former holy grail toner and doesn’t have the same potent smell or galaxy silver glittery color. Definitely recommend, 8/10. Following up my acid toner, it’s time to moisturize like my life depends on it. I alternate between the Osea Sea Vitamin Boost and their Sea Minerals Mist. Now, although I own many, I often find facial mists to be semi-gimmicky. They feel great, often smell great, but can’t I just spray water on my face and call it a day? Turns out, no. No you can not. These mist rival all others. If I had to choose one, it would be the Sea Vitamin Boost. It’s 2021 and 2020 has forced us to solely rely on screens. This facial mist not only hydrates, but also includes blue light skin protection, which excited me because I currently teach via Zoom for eight hours a day as well as blogging, photographing, and posting for Instagram on my phone. I would rate both of these 8/10 (ok… maybe the Vitamin Boost 8.2).
3.Once my face is properly toned and hydrated, it’s time to layer on the goodness! Next up, the Follain Firm + Brighten Eye Cream. I hydrate and use my eye cream before layering other products because the skin under and surrounding the eyes is extremely sensitive. Eye cream not only works it’s magic, but also protects from overloading on other serums, creams, and oils. I am a huge Follain stan. Their mission is to bring you clean skin care products you don’t have to think twice about, and I love not having to overthink. When they released their own skincare products, I knew I had to try. This eye cream is the perfect weight and consistency and definitely moisturizes my undereyes. I haven’t seen the biggest difference in my under eye darkness and puffiness, which are my two main concerns, but I will continue to use them for sure. I would rate this product 7/10.
4. After eye cream, we get into the product I am most excited to review and share with you: the Osea Hyaluronic Sea Serum. If you take only one thing away from this blog post let it be this. This serum has changed my skin and it will yours too. When I first used this product, I was totally turned off by the gooey almost gel like consistency. I rubbed it on my face and was like, “oh no no no no, WAIT, OMG YES!!!!!”. My face drank this serum up like water straight from the fountain of youth. My skin has never felt more hydrated and smooth. I will never not use this product, buy it now, buy ten, buy one hundred. Thank me later. Overall rating: 12/10.
5. Following the life changing serum, I top off my hydration with the Osea Atmosphere Protection Cream. This product really finishes my routine in the best way. I use this both morning and night and never feel oily or over moisturized. I am used to using a thick skin cream and this product has shown me that true hydration doesn’t mean suffocating your skin with gloopy moisturizers. The atmosphere protection elements are also benefits I love and take seriously, especially while living in a big city. Overall Rating: 8/10.
6. Two additional products I love from Osea and use often, although not necessarily daily, are the Essential Hydrating Oil 9/10 (great for dry patches, my psoriasis, and Gua Sha) and the Red Algae Mask 9/10! I am very into facial masks and have a wide range of products I use to target specific concerns. This mask is a perfect addition to my skincare toolkit and is great for blemishes and using on my skin after wearing a protective mask at work and in public. I will definitely be restocking on these when the time comes!
Well, there you have it! This wraps up my updated skincare routine. I have especially been loving the way my skin looks and feels, and highly recommend any and all Osea products. I haven’t felt myself really itching for any products other than maybe testing out a different eye cream and adding another cleanser into the mix. Skincare is very personal and just because something does or doesn’t work for my skin doesn’t mean it won’t for you! I do not think you can go wrong with any product from Osea, and I am convinced that I will be a huge lover and promoter of this brand for years to come!
Founder & Creative Director
Ash & Burrow